What is a School Social Workers?
- School social work is a specialized area of practice within the broad field of the social work profession.
- School social workers bring unique knowledge and skills to the school system.
- School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals who can assist with mental health concerns, behavioral concerns, positive behavioral support, academic and classroom support, consultation with teachers, parents and administrators as well as provide individual and group counseling/therapy.
- School Social Workers are the link between the home, school and community in providing direct as well as indirect services to students, families and school personnel to promote and support students’ academic and social success.
WHO are School Social Workers?
- School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals with a degree in social work who provide services related to a person’s social, emotional and life adjustment to school and/or society.
WHAT are some of the specific services that School Social Workers provide?
- Participating in special education assessment meetings as well as individual Educational Planning Meetings.
- Working with those problems in a child’s living situation that affect the child’s adjustment in school.
- Counseling (group, individual and/or family)
- Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.
SERVICES TO STUDENTS:
- Providing crisis intervention.
- Developing intervention strategies to increase academic success.
- Assisting with conflict resolution and anger management.
- Helping the child develop appropriate social interaction skills.
- Assisting the child in understanding and accepting self and others.
SERVICES TO PARENT/FAMILIES:
- Working with parents to facilitate their support in their children’s school adjustment.
- Alleviating family stress to enable the child to function more effectively in school &community.
- Assisting parents to access programs available to students with special needs.
- Assisting parents in accessing and utilizing school and community resources.
SERVICES TO SCHOOL PERSONNEL:
- Assessing students with mental health concerns.
- Assisting teachers with behavior management.
- Providing direct support to staff.
School Social Work Brochure School SW Brochure 15 – 16
Adapted from School Social Work Association of America.