In 2003, the BLaST IU17 Board of Directors adopted a model of supervision and evaluation of teachers that required each teacher to focus on an individualized professional development plan (PDP). Each teacher creates a goal and in conjunction with his/her supervisor reviews and tracks progress toward that goal by compiling a showcase portfolio aligned to the PDE 426/428 forms and the work of Charlotte Danielson’s Framework for Teaching.
As an expansion of the current model, the revised plan includes options for teachers who are proficient or distinguished that include cooperative and individual development and are project based in nature. Based on research, the National Staff Development Council Standards for Staff Development and best practice in staff development, our revised plan continues to be focused on employee professional growth but allows more independent, collaborative and collegial options.
Using a professional growth model includes providing opportunities for educators to improve their practice by assuming responsibility and accountability for their own professional growth. It also provides options for teams of teachers to collaborate in a mutually supportive and collegial manner.
This plan promotes continuous learning that is focused on:
- Alignment to the BLaST Mission and Vision.
- Individualized and/or group professional development goals.
- Data and results as they relate to student achievement and student success.
- Authentic, engaged, and context-based learning.
- Job-embedded application of new concepts and instructional practices.
- Flexibility within the goals of the organization and the needs of students.
- Deep levels of reflection. (Peine, 2003).
Directions for Completion of Forms
Option 1. Traditional Format – If you are choosing or have been assigned the traditional format, you will need to complete the Traditional Format Form (word file or pdf). Click on the link, type in your information, save it to your computer and then email it to your supervisor. Before your mid-year and end of the year review meetings, you will need to go back to your saved document and complete the appropriate section and email it again to your supervisor.
Option 2. Book Study, Action Research, Curriculum Development (All options other than Traditional) – You will need to complete the following forms. Click on the links, type in your information, save it to your computer and then email it to your supervisor.
- Indivdual or Group Application Form (this must be completed and submitted to your supervisor by the end of the August In-Service days.
- Cooperative Development Meeting Journal (this must be kept for each of the meetings that your group holds to work on the project. Only one copy must be kept and submitted to your supervisor (or supervisors, if more than one exceptionality is involved).
- Summary of Progress Forms – This form is to be completed and submitted to your supervisor(s) by October 31st, January 31st, and March 31st.
- Reflection on the Project Form – This form should be completed by each individual who participated in Option 2. Each individual participating in a group project must complete and submit his/her own reflection.
Forms and Rubrics