The BLaST IU17 K’NEX STEM Design Challenge raises awareness of the importance of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education. Students in Grades 4-8 participate in an exciting competition where they are tasked with designing, developing, and implementing a solution to an engineering problem. Students are scored on creativity, teamwork, and the challenge’s success.
Regional Registration:BLaST IU 17 STEM Design Registration
Regional Competition:March 21, 2023
Lycoming College, Williamsport, PA
State Competition:Date TBA
Challenge Coming Soon!
• A team of 2-4 students will work together on the project.
• This year we are asking students to create their prototype using recyclable materials and/or K’Nex.
• Each team will need to create and submit a design notebook and a blueprint.
• Each team will need to prepare a presentation (max 2 minutes) on their model and how they answered the challenge.
• Challenge Success
• Awards will be given to top three teams in grades 4-5 and grades 6-8
• The 1st place team in each division (grades 4-5 and grades 6-8) at each Intermediate Unit regional competition will advance to the state competition.
Parts of the competition:
• This should be a journal of the team’s progress from start to finish.
• The Notebook should include elements of the Engineering Design Process.
• Resources for Design Notebooks
• A blueprint is a technical drawing or design plan for a project. It is used to represent the final product.
• Blueprints for the STEM Design Challenge can be a photo, drawing, cad drawing, online sketch, etc. Be creative!
• Resources for blueprint ideas
• Teams will answer the challenge by creating a prototype of their idea. This year teams may use recyclable materials or K’Nex pieces.
• Teams may include a backdrop or artwork, but judges will not consider this in their scoring.
• Teams are asked to share their ideas in a presentation for the judges.
• Each presentation will be 2 minutes or less.
• Every student on the team should present.
• Judges may ask questions of the team after the presentation.
• Teams may be required to submit a video of their presentation for the competition.
• Resources for presentation videos
Teams may use this rubric of the judging criteria while preparing their projects
Contact Lexie Diaz with any questions.