Our Early Intervention programs are provided for eligible preschool children in Bradford, Lycoming, Sullivan and Tioga counties. Early Intervention is a comprehensive and collaborative system that optimizes children’s development, supports the family’s responsibility and enhances their capacity to care for their child. Our services are provided based on a Board approved stretch calendar.
A variety of need-based services for eligible young children are provided in the least restrictive environment. Early Intervention services range from consultative to instruction in specialized classrooms. Related Services are available, for example, in the areas of speech, hearing, and vision. along with assistance with psychological evaluations and assistive technology. Services are provided when the Multi-Disciplinary Evaluation (MDE) team determines the child meets the eligibility criteria of a 25% delay in one (1) or more of the five (5) developmental areas AND demonstrates a need for specially designed instruction. These services are available to children ages 3 to age of beginners. Our staff also works closely with school districts and parents to facilitate the transition-to-school process for eligible children. We provide screenings, upon request, as part of the comprehensive child find effort. Working with our communities we also provide resources, training and outreach programs for schools, preschools, colleges and various agencies.
The Process for Receiving Service
- Refer a child for evaluation at: 1-800-326-8528 (This can come from parents, care givers, physicians, or teacher).
- Whether to do a speech-only or full evaluation is determined, depending on the intake paperwork.
- An appointment for the evaluation is made at an early intervention site located in our service area.
- The evaluation takes 1 1/2 – 2 hours to complete
- Parents are then informed by the evaluation team as to the eligibility of the child for Early Intervention Services.
- If qualifying for service, a return appointment is made to review the Evaluation Report and develop the initial Individualized Education Program.
Have questions or want more information? Contact our Early Intervention Program Supervisor.[connections category=21 show_alphaindex=’FALSE’]